Planning for our Water Future
California faces a water shortage crisis and so does our coastal mid-county community. Locally we are challenged with an overdrafted groundwater basin and seawater intrusion occurring at our coastline.
In order to protect our endangered groundwater resources, ensure water reliability and resiliency to our customers, and prepare for climate change and other future challenges we may face, the District developed in 2015 an action-oriented Community Water Plan that was updated in 2017. The Community Water Plan is based on community input, our Urban Water Management Plan, and shall serve as the District's roadmap to meeting our goal of sustainability by 2040. Working together, we can protect our limited and precious water supply.... today and for future generations.
Community Water Plan Components
This plan is multi-faceted and includes
- Promoting water conservation and our water neutral development to reduce groundwater extractions
- Being proactive with our groundwater management program to protect our aquifers
- Seeking supplemental water supplies to meet our water needs.
- Learn about the history and public process we've undertaken to narrow and select our potential new water supply sources
- Learn more about the four supply options the District is evaluating:
Educating the community about water planning is key to protecting our groundwater basin, promoting water conservation and developing a supplemental supply. A diversified water portfolio is essential to our ability to provide a reliable water supply, adapt to climate change impacts and meet water quality requirements. Planning for our water future will allow us to protect the environment and maintain our community as a wonderful place to live and work.
Documents and Handouts related to Community Water Plan and Water Supply Options
Community Water Plan
- 2019 Community Water Plan Progress Report - NEW (.pdf).
- 2017 Community Water Plan Progress Report (.pdf)
- 2015 Community Water Plan (.pdf)
- 2017 Guiding Principles for Commuity Water Plan- Adopted by the Board on January 17, 2017 (.pdf)
Reports & Memos
- Water Quality Reports related to Surface Water and Purified Recycled Water (webpage)
- Water Transfers - Frequently Asked Questions and Information from City of Santa Cruz
- Cost Considerations for the Water Supply Options within the Community Water Plan (.pdf).
- December 4, 2018 Staff Memo and Technical Memo on the Community Water Plan Update including Updated Costs (.pdf)
Frequently Asked Questions
- FAQs and Clarifications - Setting the Record Straight so You have the Facts - October 2019
- 2019 Frequently Asked Questions about the Community Water Plan (.pdf) Spanish (.pdf)
- At-a-Glance FAQ Chart about River Water Transfers, Pure Water Soquel and Desalination (.pdf)
- Technical Memorandum titled “Estimated Effects on Sustainable Yield and Pumping Goals of Climate Change and Updated Basin Consumptive Use Using Water Balance Approach” by HydroMetrics WRI (dated October 27, 2015)
- 2015 SqCWD Urban Water Management Plan