Commercial and Institutional Remodel or Change of Use

Expansion of Commercial, Industrial, or Institutional Developments

  1. Contact Water conservation staff to schedule an appointment to discuss your project. District staff will review and identify project requirements and provide an estimate of charges based on proposed water use for the new development.  Requirements include:
    1. Water Demand Offset fees
    2. Water Use Efficiency Requirements
    3. Extra metering requirements
  2. If the expansion or change of use is deemed to have a higher water demand then the existing development, the difference in water demand for expansion will determine the Water Demand Offset requirement. Sign the “New Water Service Applicant Agreement” and pay a 10% deposit of your total WDO requirement.
  3. Get a Conditional Will Serve approval for your project and obtain development permits.
  4. Pay remaining 90% of WDO requirement.
  5. Complete the indoor and outdoor Water Use Efficiency (WUE) requirements.
  6. Get an Unconditional Will Serve approval for your project.
  7. Once an "Unconditional Will Serve is approved, applicant shall pay all remaining fees (if a new meter is required, refer to the fees below)
  8. Applicant can proceed with the expansion project. If a new service is required, applicant must hire a contractor to install the new service and follow the Applicant Installed Service Guidelines.  Staff may review project after completion to ensure that Water Use Efficiency Requirements and Go Green building measures (if applicable) were met.

Complete Process Flow Diagram

Please refer to the process flow diagram for Minor Land Divisions, Subdivisions, Multiple Unit, Commercial, Industrial, or Institutional Developments. Click on Image to open up a larger .pdf.

Service Connection and Meter Charges

Applicant is responsible for locating and hiring a licensed contractor to install the required service.  Applicant is required to pay any remaining District fees including, the applicable meter drop for their service size, and a deposit for inspection (determined on a project by project basis).

  Meter Drop Size Cost
Combination Services
5/8" Domestic and 2" Fire Service 5/8" & 5/8" $740
1" Domestic and 2" Fire Service 1" & 5/8" $790
Single Service
5/8" Domestic or Irrigation Service 5/8" $370
1" Domestic Service 1" $420
1 1/2" or larger Domestic Service 1 1/2" or larger Actual Costs
2" Fire Service 5/8" $370

Water Capacity Charges

In addition to the Service Connection and Meter Charges there is an established Water Capacity Charge based on the size of the meter.  Water Capacity fees are payable any time after a building permit or tentative map is granted and before the District will drop a meter and activate service. Effective January 1, 2019, standard meter charges are:

5/8 inch restricted meter $8,613
5/8 inch meter $17,225
1 inch meter $43,063
1.5 inch meter $77,514

Water Demand Offset Fees

Applicants for new service must comply with the Water Demand Offset (WDO) Program and offset two times the amount of water demand expected from the development. Offsets are available at a cost of $55,000 per acre foot.  WDO fees are used by the District to fund water conservation or supply projects in the service area that provide an equivalent amount of water.  Applicants must first contact the District and present the proposed building plans.  The District will calculate expected water demand based on the parcel size and use of the new development and determine the offset requirement. See the Water Demand Offset Page for more information.

Calculate your proposed development's water demand using the following offset values on this form.

IMPORTANT: 10% of an applicant's total WDO fee must be paid before Conditional Board approval is granted and plans can be submitted to the City of Capitola or the County of Santa Cruz. The remaining 90% of an applicant's total WDO fee must be paid before Unconditional Board approval.

Forms for New Water Service