CEQA for the Pure Water Soquel Project
The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requires state and local agencies to identify the significant effects a proposed project may have on the physical environment. The review and input of the public, agencies, and interested parties is an important part of the CEQA process, which provides a number of opportunities for public participation. In accordance with CEQA, an Environmental Impact Report has been prepared to identify and evaluate the potential environmental effects of the proposed Pure Water Soquel Project, indicate how and whether the significant effects can be mitigated or avoided, and describe and analyze possible alternatives to the Project. Preparation of an EIR ensures that the District considers potential environmental effects of the proposed Project and public input when deciding whether to approve the Project.
For this project, the notice of preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (State Clearninghouse NO. 2016112045 )was issued on November 16, 2016 and a revised notice of preparation was issued June 22, 2017. The public review period for the Pure Water Soquel: Groundwater Replenishment and Seawater Intrusion Prevention (Project) Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) was held June 29 through August 13, 2018.
A Responses to Comments document for the above-referenced project was prepared and, along with the Draft EIR, was before the Soquel Creek Water District Board of Directors as the Final EIR on December 18, 2018. This Final EIR was prepared in compliance with CEQA (California Public Resources Code, Sections 21000 et seq.), and the CEQA Guidelines (Code of Regulations Title 14, Chapter 3, Sections 15000 et seq.).
On December 18, 2018, the Soquel Creek Water District Board of Directors certified the EIR and approved the Pure Water Soquel Project. Click here to access Press Release
Certification and Project Approval
- Resolution 18-30 Certifying the EIR
- Resolution 18-31 Adopting the Environmental Findings with regard to the PWS Project EIR, Adopting a Statement of Overriding Considerations and a Mitigation and Monitoring and Reporting Program (MMRP) and Approving the Project
The Final EIR is comprised of the following three documents which include:
- Responses to Comments Document (.pdf, 65MB, December 2018)
- Draft EIR (all sections EXCEPT Appendices) (.pdf, 18 MB, June 2018)
- Appendices to the Draft EIR (.pdf, 82MB, June 2018)
Community Handbook: A Guide to the Draft Environmental Impact Report and Review Process
The Community Handbook is an easy-to-follow 24-page guide to the Draft EIR. It’s intended to provide a summary and overview of the proposed Project and key elements of the environmental analysis in the Draft EIR, including design features, mitigation measures, and feasible alternatives. The handbook also provides information about the environmental review process and how to provide comments on the Draft EIR.
- Community Handbook (pdf, 13MB)
Responses to Comments
The Responses to Comments Document can be accessed by sections below
|Cover, Table of Contents, Chapter 1||248KB|
|Chapter 2 List of Persons Commenting||169KB|
|Chapter 3 Comments and Responses, part 1||20.8MB|
|Chapter 3 Comments and Responses, part 2||40.5MB|
|Chapter 4 EIR Text Revisions||6.5MB|
Draft EIR with Appendices
The Draft EIR with Appendices can be accessed by sections (below in smaller files) or two comprehensive files (the Draft EIR and Appendices).
Hard copies of the Draft EIR are at the following locations:
- Soquel Creek Water District Office, 5180 Soquel Dr., Soquel
- Santa Cruz Public Libraries
- Aptos Branch, 7695 Soquel Drive, Aptos
- Branciforte Branch, 230 Gault Street,Santa Cruz
- Downtown Branch, 224 Church Street, Santa Cruz
- Garfield Park Branch, 705 Woodrow Avenue, Santa Cruz
- La Selva Branch, 316 Estrella Avenue, La Selva Beach
- Live Oak Branch, 2380 Portola Drive, Santa Cruz
- Porter Memorial Public Library, 3050 Porter Street, Soquel
Draft EIR Process (June 29-August 13, 2018)
The 45-day comment period was from June 29 through August 13, 2018. All comments had to be postmarked or received via email by August 13, 2018 for consideration in the Final EIR.
People could comment by:
- Email - Submit comments via email to email@example.com
- Mail- Mail written comments to: Pure Water Soquel Project CEQA, 4041 Soquel DR, STE A-501, Soquel, CA 95073 -3105
Public Meeting was held on July 31, 2018 (6:00–8:00 pm at Twin Lakes Church, 2701 Cabrillo College Dr., Monschke Hall, Aptos, CA 95003).
Scoping Process (November 2016 – July 2017)
Here is an overview of the elements of the Scoping Process for this proposed Project, which took place November 2016 through June 2017.
Notice of Preparation/Initial Study (NOP/IS)
- Revised Notice of Preparation and Initial Study (NOP/IS) (.pdf document, 2.6MB, June 2017)
- November 2016 Notice of Preparation and Initial Study (NOP/IS) (.pdf document, 1.2MB, November 2016)
Public Scoping Meetings
- July 12, 2017 Scoping Meeting Materials: Powerpoint Presentation, Meeting Program, Comment Form
- December 7, 2016 Scoping Meeting Materials: Powerpoint Presentation, Meeting Boards, Meeting Program, CEQA Handout, Comment Form
To Learn About the Project
Go to our Pure Water Soquel page for our current activities