The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requires state and local agencies to identify the significant effects a proposed project may have on the physical environment. In accordance with CEQA, a Draft Environmental Impact Report (Draft EIR) has been prepared to identify and evaluate the potential environmental effects of the proposed Pure Water Soquel Project, indicate how and whether the significant effects can be mitigated or avoided, and describe and analyze possible alternatives to the Project.
The review and input of the public, agencies, and interested parties is an important part of the CEQA process, which provides a number of opportunities for public participation. Preparation of an EIR ensures that the District considers potential environmental effects of the proposed Project and public input when deciding whether to approve the Project.
The environmental review process, under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) provides many ways for the public to get involved and comment during the process.
The 45-day comment period was from June 29 through August 13, 2018. All comments had to be postmarked or received via email by August 13, 2018 for consideration in the Final EIR. People could comment by:
- Email - Submit comments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail- Mail written comments to:
Pure Water Soquel Project CEQA
4041 Soquel DR, STE A-501
Soquel, CA 95073 -3105
Public Meeting Materials - July 31, 2018 (6:00–8:00 pm at Twin Lakes Church, 2701 Cabrillo College Dr., Monschke Hall, Aptos, CA 95003).
The Community Handbook is an easy-to-follow 24-page guide to the Draft EIR. It’s intended to provide a summary and overview of the proposed Project and key elements of the environmental analysis in the Draft EIR, including design features, mitigation measures, and feasible alternatives. The handbook also provides information about the environmental review process and how to provide comments on the Draft EIR.
The Community Handbook is available here (pdf, 13MB).
Draft EIR and Appendices
A pdf version of the Draft EIR is available for viewing online or to print (below). You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer to view these files. If you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer simply click here to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
You can also view hard copies at the following locations:
- Soquel Creek Water District Office, 5180 Soquel Dr., Soquel
- Santa Cruz Public Libraries (Check website for hours of operation)
- Aptos Branch, 7695 Soquel Drive, Aptos
- Branciforte Branch, 230 Gault Street,Santa Cruz
- Downtown Branch, 224 Church Street, Santa Cruz
- Garfield Park Branch, 705 Woodrow Avenue, Santa Cruz
- La Selva Branch, 316 Estrella Avenue, La Selva Beach
- Live Oak Branch, 2380 Portola Drive, Santa Cruz
- Porter Memorial Public Library, 3050 Porter Street, Soquel
Scoping Process (November 2016 – July 2017)
Here is an overview of the elements of the Scoping Process for this proposed Project, which took place November 2016 through June 2017.
Notice of Preparation/Initial Study (NOP/IS)
- Revised Notice of Preparation and Initial Study (NOP/IS) (.pdf document, 2.6MB, June 2017)
- November 2016 Notice of Preparation and Initial Study (NOP/IS) (.pdf document, 1.2MB, November 2016)
Public Scoping Meetings
- July 12, 2017 Scoping Meeting Materials: Powerpoint Presentation, Meeting Program, Comment Form
- December 7, 2016 Scoping Meeting Materials: Powerpoint Presentation, Meeting Boards, Meeting Program, CEQA Handout, Comment Form
To Learn About the Project
Go to our Pure Water Soquel page for our current activities