What is it?
DeepWater Desal LLC is a private company that is seeking to form a JPA to co-own a desalination project in Moss Landing that will be co-located with a data center. Treated desalinated water would be available for local agencies to purchase.
What would the project look like? The project includes a 25,000 acre-feet per year treatment facility. For more information, click here.
What are the current activities?
- On December 4, 2018 - An update on Deep Water Desal Costs (as well as water transfers and Pure Water Soquel) was presented to the Board. Staff Memo,Staff Presentation, and Brown and Caldwell Presentation
- On June 6, 2017, Deep Water Desal presented an update and overview of their desalination project. Click here to access the powerpoint presentation and here for a set of frequently asked questions.
- In May 2015, the District entered into a Memorandum of Interest with DeepWater Desal to express the District's interest in purchasing 1,500 acre-feet per year of desalinated water. The MOI is a non-binding and does not obligate the District to make a financial commitment at this time.
- The Environmental Impact Report is scheduled to be released in 2017.
- DeepWater Desal is finishing up its financial model revisions to determine the cost of the water. At that time, a more formal purchase agreement for water agencies may be considered.